By commission of the Municipality of Budapest, our design studio is the lead designer of the project ‘RAK-PARK - Complex regeneration of the Pest-side Danube waterfront’. The design area covers the lower embankments between Kossuth square and Fővám square.
The aim of the project is to create a renewed, well-functioning and continuous public space with a unified image, along with the elimination of the elements responsible for the present chaotic state of the embankments (damaged/missing paving, unevenly placed barriers, arbitrarily placed advertising boards, car parks and waste storage).
The following fundamental demands and expectations were formulated during the workshops and preparation for the design competition regarding the construction of the embankment:
· designation of 3 embankment sections on the basis of usage, urban characteristics, structural conditions and partitioning of the waterfront,
· preservation and accentuation of the scenic views along the Danube,
· improvement of access to the waterfront,
· establishent of a flexible traffic system,
· provision of pedestrian- and cyclist-friendly features,
· elaboration of a spatial and coastal zone based on the area’s historical designs,
· application of a new paving system,
· expansion of vegetated areas.
The design area was divided into three different areas based on appearance and function in conceptual phase. The first one is the Id. Antall József embankment, where an intensive and representative verdant area is designed on the basis of the present conditions. The walkway runs tightly along the waterfront, and is safeguarded from the road on the adjacent side by a wide green surface. The Jane Haining embankment becomes a broad urban promenade with a dominance of paved surfaces, and scattered groups of trees to provide shading on hot summer days. On Belgrád embankment, car parks on top of the International Landing Stage transform into vibrant recreational terraces and cafés in the scenic panorama. At this section we also designated a water proximity service zone with cafés and restaurants, where the former ship docking function of the embankment can harmoniously coexist with its new recreational features.
Host: Budapest Főváros Önkormányzata
Human Construct Tervező és Szaktanácsadó Kft.
Modern Építészetért Nonprofit Kft.
Dóm Építészműterem Kft.
VR Works Kft.
Size: 85.825 m2